My Wonderful Followers - Thankyou :)

Saturday 8 December 2007

Exploding Baby Box

My good friend and work colleague Dervla was leaving to have a baby and I was asked to make a card for everyone to sign.

I'd already decided that I wanted to make something very special for her and came up with the idea of putting a baby bootie inside an exploding box. This would then give plenty of flaps for my colleagues to write their sentiments in.

I made the bootie first using a template obtained from the By Donavan site. The finished bootie then dictated the size the box needed to be. I embellished the edge of the bootie with border outline stickers and a Papermania brad. The sentiment was added as it looked a little plain and the baby when born will have a surname of G.

The box was made to a finished size of 5 1/2" square and required the use of many pieces of card to get the required shape. I used a piece of mountboard for the base to make it substantial and all the pieces wer then mounted on that.

The layers were individually decorated. The base has peel off borders around each edge. The top cream layer has been corner punched with a corner adorner punch. This performed really well even though the card was very thick. I used this cut out shape to stencil through with a gold gel pen to the green layer to add a little interest.

The embellishments used inside were a mixture of items from a QVC TSV kit (baby tag with HOTP nappy pin, pram,angel tag, cutie tag,) Lisa Bearnsen QVC kit (clear quotes, B embellishment on lid) Prima flowers Pink Petticoat downloaded image.

Dervla said she wasn't going to cry - but she did ! I said I hadn't done my job very well if she didn't. She absolutely loves it, so does James to proud Father to be. I just wanted to make something special for 2 lovely people and I am very much looking forward to meeting Baby G.

As a result of making this box I have now been commissioned to make another one so i guess I'll have to cost this one up !

I have made a slideshow with all the images of the card below.

No comments: